20110330

Dot McAllister

Now I hear Dot McAllister has left us as well. I never worked with 'old Dotty', but the stories about her are legendary. The carousing, the parties, the glamour. Her parties were the talk of the industry. Everyone who is anyone was there. Apparently. Of course she realised my dedication and shyness and the embarrassment I would have felt at such occasions and spared me the horror of having to make some excuse or another to her invitation.

One story springs to mind. Dot was appearing in Weibers' 'All Cry Down' and there's a scene when Mrs Carte (played by Dot) confronts the chambermaid about pilfering onions. It's a delightful scene and really evokes the early 20th century staff relationships. So she is in the middle of her speech, the 'Ms Boon, don't fink I ain't been countin' them tear berries (as Weiber called them) I counted them all and there's two a missin' ' The poor girl forgot her line and Dot came back with a priceless one liner which not only moved the plot along, but the whole audience enjoyed. I can't remember what she said. Something about pinking sheers, I think. Anyway, the point is she didn't let a fellow artiste look ridiculous on the stage, her largesse was that she was generous enough to help the young actress, who I believe left the profession that very night.

Sad news. They say bad news comes in threes. I wonder who will make this motley trio?

No comments:

Post a Comment