20130128

RESIGNED.

For those of you who have not read in the popular press (the Weston super Mare Argos, The Droitwich Examiner and Free Ads) I have now left the popular BBC soap opera.

I shall not bore you with the whys and wherefores of this decision. Except to say my resignation took me entirely by surprise.

The story arc was to go on for a few more months, or so I was given to believe.

My character, Eric Bryce, was a chirpy car salesman with a dark, mysterious secret.

In fact, here is the brief I was given :

Eric Bryce, is a chirpy car salesman with a dark, mysterious secret.

Backstory:
Bryce has been selling cars for forty one years, and is an expert not only on classic vehicles, but also on medieval torture devices and exotic fruit. He was married to Marion for seventeen years, before she disappeared in a mysterious boating accident at home in Halifax.

He has two children, Wailen and Myandra, who are twins. He is scared of owls.

I played Bryce with the pathos and drama the part deserved, and spent several hours on a car lot in Houndslow learning about car sales, techniques and methodology. I have six old Datsuns and a minibus with a cracked camshaft to back this up. I researched the clothes such a person would wear and went out and bought a sheepskin jacket, a musty suit and a shirt. Rarely has an actor wanted to get a part 'right' as I have for this role. I even spent a weekend with a BBC Sound effects record impersonating engines.

What do I find when I get on set. That this role has changed since the original brief and now I am expected to play a transgender car salesman with a perchant for having sex with damp laundary.

I voiced my concerns to the all too young director, who looked up from his geography homework (I am joking) and said “Dahling, you are an actor. Act”

The rumour mill has started already I see. Looking at the feedback on the soap website, the decision has been met with almost universal surprise. The words 'terrible' and 'decision' feature heavily, as do 'acting' and 'right'.

Let me tell you something now; I am not a man who is quick to anger. When Tom Conti trod on my foot outside Oddbins that Saturday, did I say a word? When Sir Paul McCartney turned me down for the part of 'mysterious man third from the left' in Give my Regards to Broad Street, did I venture a tear (I didn't, and I also didn't write those letters – where would I get the blood?), or did my stage fight turned real to the death squabble with a certain highly prized thesp ever do any real harm? (now a Dame). No. But this had the effect of making my plasma be drained, placed in a bowl and put in the microwave and made very hot indeed, with a resounding ping when optimum temperature was reached. I think there is a phrase for this but it escapes me.

I rang Equity on the morning of my departure to see where I stood. The sarcastic reply of 'why don't you try Google Maps' was not welcome. I informed them who I was, and that I had been sacked from my transgender car lot before realising I was talking to Pizza Express.

Modern technology baffles me. How these youngsters master the Hinternet or any of the myriad communication devices is a ongoing puzzle. I am still struggling with the pen with the popper thing which makes the nib disappear.

Having finished my family feast, I tried again to talk to Equity.

More bloody battles. Apparently I have not been in Equity since 1986, when my cheese commercial ('Oooo, what's that smell?') aired and no one could think of me without cheese or vice versa. There was a happy job. All I had to do was flex my nostrils and ask Dora Bryan what the smell was and she would present me with a plate of curd, the like of which Caesar himself would have been surprised by. “Oooo, what's the smell?” became a national catchphrase, t-shirts, posters and all sorts were printed, although it was replaced shortly afterwards, as many passing fads are in this transient age, by the shorter more succinct phrase 'gas'.

Apparently they are very reluctant to help you if you are not 'paid up'. Surely if you pay and nothing happens then you can sit back and wait for something to happen? If I pay for a washing machine, and have no clothes to wash one week, does the washing machine cease to exist? No. I put this logic to Damien at the enquiries desk, and was surprised my eloquence was on loudspeaker. What surprised me even more was the Damien mentioned some of my work, in what I considered to be a scornful manner. I remonstrated with him about his cheek, and asked what he had done of any worth.

Apparently Damiens' father is something big in Sky television. Damien has his own show where he hunts down celebrities and feeds them bolognaise. Instantly this struck a chord with me. What a fantastic idea. Damien is obviously a visionary and someone to watch, and I wasn't afraid to tell him so. I dislike praising people but he was so destined for great things and if I could be of any help to him at all, well, he only had to ask.

He said he would get back to me.

I love networking. Stuff you, BBC, Sky know good programming. And they might need a minibus.

No comments:

Post a Comment