20121229

Review 2012 - January

January

In retrospect this month was poor in terms of work and general acting tasks. Many were the auditions I went to, for butlers, heroic men in cloaks, evil uncles and Mr D'Arcey. Although I say Mr D'Arcey, it would appear I was somewhat optimistic about that as it was actually Mr Donkey, a play about what would happen if a Donkey ran the bank of England. An allegory to our modern dilemmas and the financial situation we all find ourselves in.

Travelling the London Underground dressed as a 19th Century fop is never easy, ask anyone who was involved in the New Romantic movement or has a Burtons' card.

The audition itself was marred by my interpretation of D'Arcey, pretending to be a donkey destroying the economic system from within whilst having a mouthful of carrot. I am not surprised that they uttered the dreaded 'next'.

Also this month I was asked to talk about my old friend James Wilkes, the actor, for a programme called 'My Glorious Friends', a Channel Four vehicle where those who have attained what we laughingly call celebrity are indeed celebrated. I waxed lyrical about my old mucker for what seemed like days, regaling my interviewer with stories and anecdotes of the great man, before being asked to calm down a bit and not appear to be 'so bloody angry'. Fifteen minutes and two Consulate later I am back, relating my escapades and memories of the man. The Droitwich Caper. The Woolwich job. Other work in other locations all over the land. Wokingham. Penzance. Twatt.

I was surprised the producers of the programme decided to cut down my contribution to a mere eight seconds, four of which were me eating a biscuit.

January was, in many ways, a wash out.

No comments:

Post a Comment