20121229

Review 2012 - February

 February

February is the shortest month of the year, and therefore has literally less time in it to fit in the things you want to do. The days are the same, but there are less of them. This has something to do, I am told, with the agricultural industry. Of course, as I mentioned in my Womans' View column recently, they could alter the days so that it has the requisite number of hours therefore elongating the month to the standard length, whilst not interfering with chickens.

The first hurdle came on the fifth day, when I was asked to try out for the voice of Pearsons' Rubber, a tyre company in the West Midlands who had abandoned their normal voice after a scandal not entirely unconnected with rubber. The studio itself was pleasant enough, and on arriving I was amazed at the ineptitude of the receptionist, who at best thought I was there to mend the photocopier and then thought I was Prunella Scales. I started my audition covered in toner, the script was the usual mix of drama, intonational instruction and deft wordplay

Buy All Your Rubber Products From Pearsons' Rubber”.

I spoke this line several times, emphasising different words in the sentence, giving it a plethora of meanings from comedic to deeply serious. One thing about voicing things is you need to take direction. You need to be able to listen to what the director – and ultimately the client – wants.

This is very much dependent on whether these people actually know what they are talking about. I made changes but they weren't happy. I suggested improvements but they weren't happy. I went out of my way to enlarge the concept, to make it sound bigger, bolder, much more hard hitting. They weren't happy. I did voices. They weren't happy. Finally, in a bid to make them happy I decided to use the premise of the mystic east, and did the whole thing in a mock Chinese accent. They definitely weren't happy. “What we want” said Robert, the newly graduated head of whatever it is he does “is for you to sit there, and read the words, as written, without the silly voices, intonations or sounding grumpy.”

On my way out of the building I asked if there were any presentation jobs going. I've always thought radio was a communication device, a bolt which the spanner of the presenter would slowly turn to a point where maximum grip (attention) was attained, and I, with my communication skills and training, could really become something of a big spanner. “What are you interested in?” said Robert, his eyes glinting like a child with a new sticklebrick. “I was thinking, Rob, we forget all the pomp and faux celeb of these pop and skiffle types, and have a show where I talk about issues and intersperse it with late 17th century baroque.”.

My next job was around the 14th. Thorntons Chocolate had a big promotion on, and I was in town to help out. All hands on the sticky deck, one might say, although this particular stickiness was due to chocolate and nothing to do with the recent revelations regarding the dancefloor in a gentlemens' club I may or may not have been frequenting that night. “Get your fingers sticky!” I shouted through the megaphone. “Oooo, get your mouth around my truffles”. This was manna from heaven, I could double entendre all day long and no one would notice. “swallow my nougat surprise”, “Take my Belgian nob” and other double entendres followed, until the Police arrived and I was told to calm down. Sales were good, especially during my lunch hour apparently, so everyone went home pleased and with their sweets. I disputed with the manager though, who stated quite clearly they hadn't actually asked me to be there, and therefore my asking for money for the days' work was 'completely out of ******* order, mate'. An argument ensued, but you can't win an argument with an unarmed man, especially if he has a crowbar, so I left it at that. I shall not be going there again, so their injunction is a waste of time.

The 22nd was my Sisters' birthday, and I invited her and her 'partner' to dinner, but apparently they were watching television that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment