20121229

End of the Year

Well, here we are at the end of 2012, and once again I find myself in my flat, wondering what joys the new year will bring. With this in mind I have decided to list the past twelve months as to what I have achieved in this previous twelve months.

January

The year started off in something of a stupor. I'm not sure if it wasn't Perkins' Gherkins which caused my sloth start of 2012. The previous night I had been all set to go to bed when Sir Anthony swung around. “Dear heart” said the Welsh Wonder “I have been scouring London looking for someone to spend New Years' with, and you, my friend, have the winning ticket”. Much as I tried to discourage him, Perkins produced from his trousers his famous gherkins, and I knew I was in for a rollercoaster night.

For those who don't know, the theatre is steeped in such traditions. Every actor has something that rhymes with his or her last name, and suitable escapades ensue. Judy Dench has her bench, Simon Callow has marshmallow, Gareth Hunt sadly died. But many of us can remember the fun and larks these fine thespians have given us, and a few of us are still enjoying the resulting incarceration.

I won't go into details, but I am pretty sure the lovely fellows on Billingsgate Fish Market would frown upon our antics that dark night, as would the Health and Hygiene executive.

So I awake, January the first, sans Perkins, tired, aching and smelling of tuna. Which reminds me I must call Day-Lewis. Anyway, all the business of the previous night apart and the Police having left, I promptly set about my list for 2012.

Many actors will tell you it is vitally important to have a list. A range of targets and ambitions to achieve. Some will ignore this sage advice, and their talent will wilt and fade, their star waning towards the horizon, the glory days long since departed until darkness engulfs them and they appear in a Simon Nye sitcom.

I have always believed in having a list, although in 2009 I picked up the wrong list and my sole achievement was picking up two tubes of toothpaste and a sliced loaf.

One must, to every extent and beyond, stretch oneself as a performer. I well recall telling this on one of my many lectures to the young and restless of this parish, although to be honest they didn't seem that restless, playing as I spoke that awful Hungarian Birds. But I did inspire one young person who came up to me later. “Please, Mr McPhereson, please tell me how you be so good at that acting stuff”. Of course, one has to be careful these days helping youngsters. You can't be too careful. One wrong move, one misinterpreted word out of place, and you are smeared with the foulest of slurs. “Wait” I told the young pretender, leaving them agog and eager to hear my advice and heading off down the corridor to the gents, only later to see their surprised face as the fire brigade prized me from the toilet window.

So the list. As Shakespeare might have put it 'aims and visions of life this list be, what aims this arrow of life true to its' flight, ne'er diverting from true passage, fly true to your command, dear arrow, fly the good flight'. Many people have mentioned my lapses into the vernacular of the bard. I often overhear people referring to me as “That bard” in conversation, and I am flattered. So, what aims do I wish to achieve and strive towards this 365? Which lofty ambition should I be determined to fulfil?

I would like to get my job back as the voice of Franks Jam. I mean, obviously the company distanced itself after the incident, and made several hefty and much publicised donations to the charities concerned, and even now I can't into Whipsnade or London Zoo without being eyed with suspicion. And Ikea have blacklisted me, it would appear. But with a little time, the public will forget the calumnious accusations and ensuing legal wrangles.

I would like to do a play. Maybe one written specifically with me in mind. A comedy, a tragedy, a drama, maybe a farce. Definitely not a musical – not after that business in Chester which was damaging to myself, my fellow actors and the makers of Trombones. Of course, various apologies were forthcoming, not least from myself, and monies were sent to charities and voluntary work was undertaken (where charged to do so) for no fee. So a play. That would be nice. In the West End. But no Sundays. And no matinees – I like my afternoons too much. And if we could just restrict the audience to maybe three nights a week, because I think over exposure to either tense drama or hilarious and well acted comedy should be rationed. Of course, I would have to have the full fee, because I would be unable to undertake any other work should I be forced to undertake such an epic undertaking. And have my hotel paid for.

I would like to be in a Situation comedy as well. I have a great idea. Bob Marvellous is a actor who has a wide canon of work, and is widely admired by his co-workers and peers, who is making reparations for accusations unfounded. His wife is obviously beautiful and talented and he is thought of as brilliant by everyone in general and quite a smashing bloke. I haven't actually thought of any stories par se, but we can get to those once the cheque clears. Should I find myself available I would sacrifice my time for the publics' entertainment.

Also if I could get a new shower curtain, that would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment