20170417

Another post

 What a fantastic few months this has been. Work came in at a tremendous rate. And it was an offer to be part of that most lucrative of genres: The adaptation of a book into film form. An adaptation I hear you say? Tolkien had it done with lord of the Rings, Dumar with the Muskateers and C.S.Lewis with his Lions and wardrobes. Well, this was the same sort premise but instead of Lords, Rings, Swords and oversized cupboards, this was a film based on a series of books which promise the rare combination of adventure, intrigue and some more adventure. I refer of course to the big screen version of Delia Smiths' Cooking For The Family.

But how, I hear you ask, could they adapt what is essentially a set of recipe ideas into a (I believe this is the term) blockbuster summer sizzler? This is where the genius of the idea comes in. All the ingredients have an adventure, a journey, overcoming great obstacles and challenges to be included in the recipe. I play Denny, a socially awkward potato cake. Denny's story from his humble origins to his ambition to be draped in sauces and folded into a makeshift sandwich echo many struggles. Look at Billy Elliot. That was more or less Denny's Story, but with a heavier accent on potatoes than in the ballet ridden drama.

It was the first time I have been asked to portray a vegetable. It is always difficult enough to portray my fellow humans, but vegetables? That was a challenge I could not pass up, not least because it would clear my rent. When I told Mrs Ovald, my landlady, about it, she seemed unimpressed. Although this could be because my diction was not all it should have been owing to the headlock her son had me in. After showing her the contract I was a:allowed to stay another six months and b:allowed to breathe.

Preparing to play a vegetable is something I think my fellow actors could benefit from. There is no text, no real guidelines so it is a rare chance to start with a blank canvas – or empty plate you might say!

Firstly, one must study ones' subject. In this case, the humble spud. Where does it come from? Well, it comes from the ground. Humble origins are a clue to it's ambition. When the potato first emerges from it's muddy womb, what future does it visualise? Remember, this is a character without the guidance of parents, so it starts off totally alone. It was difficult actually having had parents (both dead) to imagine how it would be not to have parents, although this was made somewhat easier by the death of Mother and Pappa. How I wish they could share in this moment of triumph. What would I not give to be telling them all about it through their letterbox. I decided on some field work (forgive the pun) and went to work on a farm.

Farming is hard, as anyone who has been in the Archers will tell you. There's all sorts of rules, regulations, equipment and muck all over the place, and that's a radio programme so God knows what farms are really like. The farm I tried first was O'Briens Farm. Gladden O'Brien was a no-nonsense farmer. I explained to him my plight, about being a potato cake and suchlike, and, after making me a cup of tea he went to (what I assumed) get some paperwork. What he was in fact doing was ringing Social Services. After explaining it to the Ambulance people and the two officers, I was allowed on my way.

I decided I would be better off buying some potatoes and studying them. But what sort? King Edwards? The other ones? It's all so confusing. I went to Angus, my local grocer and bought a single potato. He made some crack about having friends in but I paid him and left without riposte. I placed it on the table at home and stared at it. How did it feel? What was it's purpose in life? If it could speak, what would it say? As any actor would, I concentrated all my knowledge into those five hours, ignoring doorbells, the phone or the sirens outside. I wanted to understand the experience.

At some point I fell asleep. I am unsure when, but the dream I had revealed all I needed to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment